Saturday, March 24, 2007
Rogue in the Wild
Rogue is done.

Conveniently, I finished it the same day we bought a new camera! So we had a photo shoot out in the yard today. It was a rather high speed photo shoot since I finished the sweater about 5 minutes before we had to leave to have dinner with Jamie's family, but it definitely got the job done. Unfortunately this is a crappy time of year for outdoor photo shoots. It's muddy everywhere, especially in our alley, I was standing in a puddle, and the snow is all gross and brown. Oh well. The sweater's nice! (Ignore our kind of decrepit fence, too.)

IMG_0013

I clearly need work on my "posing for pictures of knitted items without looking like a dork" skills.

IMG_0015

I love the hood.

IMG_0017

See above re: looking like a dork. And this is apparently not a good nose angle. I swear I actually have quite a small nose.

IMG_0018

IMG_0023

IMG_0019

It is DONE! Hooray! I wore it to dinner tonight (with no coat! Hooray!) and got many compliments on it. As you can see from the photos, the fit is really good. The cables look awesome in this yarn. And it's all mine! This is officially the first sweater I have made for myself.

Here's the knitty gritty:

Pattern: Rogue. Possibly the most photographed pattern on the internet, and with good reason. This pattern is excellent. It is easy to follow, well written, and thorough. Two thumbs up! I knit it in the 48" size.

Yarn: Bartlett Fisherman's Two-Ply in Light Sheepy Grey. This yarn was great to work with. It's still very sheepy, so it smells nice and wooly. There was occasional bits of straw or whatever in the yarn, and it changed consistency a lot when I washed it. (And the water was quite nasty afterwards!) But it holds its stitches like a hot damn. If you want to learn how to cable without a cable needle (which is the only way I cable any more), this would be a great yarn to learn on. It takes some serious convincing for it to unravel. Great for cables. Very woolly, though. If you want soft, this isn't for you. But it's definitely going to be well used in the long Edmonton winters. I ordered ten skeins of this yarn from KPixie, but I only used seven of them. (I have no idea what to do with the other three.)

Needles: The hem facing was knit on size 3 KP Options, and the body on size 5 Denises.

Modifications: I added an extra repeat of rows 33-38 in Chart A to add a bit of length. I'm 5'10", and I like my sweaters reasonably long. It's a really good length, although I wish the pocket was about an inch higher. Other than that, I pretty much knit it as written, aside from a few minor mistakes here and there. This pattern doesn't need modifying!

Start Date: January 10, 2007
Finish Date: March 24, 2007 (I knit a lot of other things in between.)

What I learned on this project: Closed cables were a new thing for me, and I really like them. This is also the first time I've used short rows, but it won't be the last. I really, really like the fit of this sweater. Just the right amount of shaping. I also learned how to do three-needle bind-off, although I ripped it out in favour of grafting the hood. My seaming skills continue to improve, although they're still my weakest link and my least liked element of sweaters.

This makes sweater number for the year. Woohoo!

Expect lots of photos in the next little while. I need to learn to use the new camera before we go to Disneyland (in 10 days! Yippee!) and it's conveniently Flash your Stash next weekend. Plus my laptop has a built in drive for the SD card, so I can upload really easily. We got a Canon Powershot S3 IS, and it's really nice. Much fancier than the old one!

Labels:

15 Comments:
Blogger Stell said...
looks fab, well done, every time i see rogue I want one. liked reading about the progress and small modifications as well. great blog

Blogger Mandy said...
It looks absolutely lovely! Great job!

I like the title of your blog. "I mock you with my monkey pants!"

Blogger bookgrump said...
Awesome! You did a great job! I bought the pattern for Rogue but haven't worked up the courage to do it yet. It's a bit intimidating to someone who has never done cables and hasn't done an adult-sized sweater in about... Don't even want to think about it.

Blogger Delana said...
That looks great on you! Now I want to add Rogue to my "Wanna Knit That" list :o)

Anonymous Anonymous said...
It looks lovely! And just in time to be a spring coat.

I know what you mean about learning to not look like a dork. It really is a skill that you can learn. My dad's an amateur photographer, and so when I was an awkward teen I decided to figure it out. The key that I discovered was learning to not feel self-conscious about striking a pose. Stand in a flattering way, with a flattering look on your face, and own that moment. Don't feel sheepish for trying to look good. All the rest, like getting your head at the right angle, etc, is just detail that's fairly simple to learn.

Great work on the knitting.

Poppins

Blogger Kessa said...
Your sweater is awesome! Great job!

Blogger sgeddes said...
Lovely job on the sweater! IT looks great on you and the color is perfect. Now I want to add it to my to do list.

Blogger Batty said...
That fits amazingly well. I love the way it all worked out, modifications and all.

Blogger Prachi said...
I love your sweater! It fits you really well. I also ended up using much smaller needles for my Rogue.

Blogger turtlegirl76 said...
It's fabulous! What a great sweater! You're right, it does fit you very well and I love the way the cables pop in that yarn. Wonderful.

Sucks to be standing in snow though. =P

Blogger Miri Mack said...
Gorgeous! looks great on you, too!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Great job :)

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Great job! It looks fantastic! You finished so fast too!
-Your Knittyboard SP

Blogger Penny said...
Oh, it looks wonderful! I have the same yarn, same color for my Rogue, except that I plan on doing the cardiganized version of it. I figured that would make it more wearable in our mild Oklahoma winters. I swatched several months ago, but haven't started yet. I remember my water was pretty yucky too when I washed and blocked my swatch. Thanks for posting all your modifications, and experience with the yarn!

Blogger Jenn said...
It looks great! Congrats on a beautiful sweater!