Thursday, February 01, 2007
A sudden burst of culture
Man, February already? That's just crazy. But also good, because January kind of sucked. Nothing major, just a series of minor annoying things.

February is shaping up to be a major improvement. Tomorrow night is Jamie's school's big band dance thingy, which I am going to. I'm wearing my excellent brown and pink dress, and I'm kicking myself for not finishing my shawl, as it's the perfect occasion. Oh well.

Saturday night we're going to the opera. Which is hilarious, because we aren't really opera people, never mind people who go to fancy dinner dances one night and the opera the following night, but apparently we're cramming our fanciness into one weekend. Maybe on Sunday we'll watch some Monster Trucks or something to balance it out. Jamie got free tickets from school, and we're sitting in the nosebleeds with a bunch of teenagers. Woo!

Next Wednesday we're going to see Barenaked Ladies (to which I say WOO!), and then all of a sudden it's halfway through February which means it's almost my birthday! Yippee! And then once we hit my birthday, it's less than a month till we hit Disneyland.

Awesome. Everything's coming up Millhouse!

I've had an oddly light on the knitting week. Monday night was Stitch n Bitch, so I got a fair amount done on Rogue, which I continue to lean towards ignoring the mistake on, although Cara over at January One is trying to convince me that I can fix it. (I appreciate her optimism. We'll see.) I think I might leave it until the sweater's done, although then if I screw it up I'll be even more pissed! But I'm not really a perfectionist, and it does look ok. I'm aiming to finish chart A tomorrow and then start tackling where it separates for the front and back. Maybe I can finish the body by the end of the weekend! (Ah, foolish optimism. Nothing like putting this things on the blog for some public accountability.)

Tuesday night I had book group and had dinner with Jamie, my mum, and her friend beforehand. I did get some of my thrum mittens done - actually, I finished them while I was at the meeting and got lots of admiring comments, but I decided the cuffs were too short so I ripped them out and re-knit them. (Just the cuffs. Not the whole mittens!) They are now REALLY done and ends woven in and everything. Except I don't think I'm going to keep them.

I know, I know. This giving away of knitting is absolutely chronic. Fear not, I'm definitely keeping Rogue, and my shawl. And I've got yarn for Central Park Hoodie on the way (thanks, Trillian!) - it's going to be in Cascade 220 in a very lovely green. Once I've made that, I'm thinking of making just a plain v-neck pullover in something sort of medium weight so I can wear it by itself. I'm going to use the pattern from A Knitter's Handy Book of Sweater Patterns, which is a highly useful book that I intend to buy. (Have I mentioned lately what an awesome knitting book collection my library has? I suggest knitting books to them all the time, and so far they've bought every single one. Yay purchasing department! But they buy almost all the good new ones without any suggestions, to the point that I suspect there's a knitter down there somewhere.) Anyway, I'm currently debating what yarn to use for that - I get quite warm in sweaters, so I want something not too heavy.

I think after that I'd like to try my hand at a tank top. I have no idea what sort of pattern - I want something pretty simple, so I might just use the dimensions from the Handy Book again. I'll have to poke around for that - I am also quite clueless about yarns for that type of thing.

In other news, Karen put up photos of the cast cozy (as named by her husband - excellent name!) here. It's a little loose, but the thumb keeps it on quite nicely.

Don't ask about the socks. They need a trip to the frog pond. I'm choosing to temporarily forget that.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
I can't wait to see a pic of the mittens! I'm so happy that February is shaping up to be Fabulous!
-Your Knittyboard SP8

Blogger Knitting Bandit said...
I'm with you, I try to overlook those little mistakes. It's always a 50/50 shot I can live with it! I made my favorite tank ever out of Colinette Giotto. Plus, it's not too expensive since it's just a tank.

Blogger Alexis said...
Yay for going to see BNL! I love them, too, and I saw them in November (post about that at http://poodlestar.blogspot.com/2006/11/hanging-out-with-ladies.html). And you know, mistakes are what make things unique. I honestly would not notice an incorrectly crossed cable.