Thursday, February 08, 2007
Six Weird Things: A Contest!
Look! It's a Meme AND a contest, both firsts on Monkey Pants and Hippo Dignity. I got tagged last week by The Lone Knitter, and I have to admit, I wasn't really planning to do the meme. I'm not wild about them, generally, and I'm also really lazy.

However, I'm coming up on a Monkey Pants and Hippo Dignity Milestone: my 100th post! (Here, anyway. I have archives over at diaryland.) So I decided to have a contest. I contemplated various options for this contest, but eventually decided to incorporate it into the meme.

So, first of all, the meme. Six weird things about me. Well, there are definitely more than six weird things about me, but here are the six I came up with for myself.

1. I bought Harry Potter 6 on my wedding day. In my wedding dress. I have photos!

2. I hate having my legs touching when I'm sleeping. I fold the blankets in between so that doesn't happen. This is why I hate sleeping bags.

3. I like tomato sauce, ketchup on some things, and pizza sauce. I hate tomatoes. It's the texture - bleah! (I have a lot of weird texture issues with food. Do not get me started on mushrooms.)

4. I have the smallest toenail on my little toe that I've ever seen. I can barely get nail polish on it.

5. I didn't change my name when I got married even though I'd always thought I would. (I don't think that's weird, but enough people find it weird that I figured I'd mention it.)

6. I have almost no patience for most things in life, but endless patience for knitting. I don't think this is weird, but it freaks Jamie out. He doesn't understand how I get impatient after two minutes of waiting in a line or whatever, but can spend three hours untangling a skein of yarn or frogging three days worth of knitting. The only other thing I have any patience for is babies. Otherwise I am a terribly impatient person. Conveniently, knitting helps with the other things as well - waiting isn't as bad when I have knitting.

And now, the contest! This is my 98th post. What you have to do to enter is come up with something about me that you think is weird, based on having read my blog. (Don't worry, you are very unlikely to offend me based on what I've written about in my blog. I even have a shirt that says "Easy to annoy, hard to offend" that Karen and Paul made for me. I tend not to write about the things that you could offend me by calling weird.) It can be a knitting-related weirdness or not. Those of you who know me in real life can use a non-blog-related weirdness as long as you are confident that it's something I don't mind the internet knowing about.

I'll pick my favourite six weird things and post them in my 100th entry. Then I will draw a name from those six finalists, and that person will win!

What's the prize, you ask? Yarn, of course. I have three colourways of Lorna's Laces Shephard Sock, and you can choose one of them! (Two skeins.) (If you don't knit socks, we can talk about a substitute. If you don't knit at all, I can't imagine why you'd be reading this anymore if you don't know me in real life, so I'll buy you a drink or an ice cream or something.) I don't have a photo of the colourways on me right now, but I'll post them along with the finalists.

To enter, just leave a comment. Make sure there's an email address that I can reach you at (or use a name that makes it very clear that I know you in real life and know how to get ahold of you), and tell me something you think is weird about me.

Make sense? Let's hear it, folks. What's so weird about me?

Labels:

17 Comments:
Blogger LadyLungDoc said...
For a book person, you watch alot of TV.
(OK, I realize that it's easier to knit and watch TV than it is to knit and read, or read and watch TV, but it's still odd)

It's also weird that you bought Manos as a gift for someone else before you ever bought any for yourself ;)

Blogger Trillian42 said...
The tomato thing is weird? Really? Because I am totally the same way. The seeds and the slime around them? ICK!

And yes - mushrooms are evil. The taste is fine, but the texture... *shudder*

And I am not entering the context because I just realized that I didn't have you in my bloglines, so I hadn't been reading your blog. *blush* I am amending that now.

Blogger thatfarmgirl said...
Regarding weird thing #4, I have a friend whose nail on her small toe is soooooooo small that you can only use the tip of the brush to dot toenail polish on it. I, on the other hand, have the world's largest pinky toenail!

Blogger Lone Knitter said...
Yay! I got you to respond to the meme after all. I think your contest concept is really cool, and who can resist Lorna's Laces? Wow.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
"I bought Harry Potter 6 on my wedding day. In my wedding dress. I have photos!"

I'd like to see those!!!

-Your Knittyboard SP

Blogger Sue said...
You talk to your Rogue!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
It's weird that you think anyone gives a darn what RSS feed is. The question is, does it work?

Blogger Kaitie Tee said...
You named your laptop Neville. I don't think it's the name that's weird, but the fact that you gave it a name in the first place. (I suppose I shouldn't mention that I named my car.)

~kaitie.tee@gmail.com

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Here's my entry for weird thing:
It took you years to make your first pair of socks, and then you made 9? 10? 11? pairs in 4 months!

Blogger lupinbunny said...
personally, the weirdest thing i can find about you is the fact that youre willing to give away lorna's laces sock yarn!

well, that and the fact that you hoped your yellow-ish Sweet Georgia yarn was named after an obscure firefly character, rather than confronting the cruel truth - that Saffron does dye things yellow :)

Blogger Jessica said...
There are blue letters on your shower curtain. Seriously, who reads in the shower?! ;)

p.s. I'm not stalking you, I saw it in one of your Rogue pics.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
You remove your hair accessories and leave them on the arm of your chair when you sit down so the back of your head isn't poked, etc.
And as far as food textures... I am so there. Who in the heck invented tapioca? Shuddering at the thought of slime filled with hard little bumps.

Blogger maryannlucy said...
I have to go with buying Harry Potter on your wedding day...do things really get weirder than that? ;-)

Blogger Pinkwool said...
My DH and I are the same with the tomato stuff. Neither of us will eat it in it's natural state but crush it and etc. and we'll eat it.

Buying HP6 in your wedding dress? Awesome.

I'm going with the legs touching thing. I can't stand for my legs to be touched in bed either but your OWN legs not touching? Weird.... :)

Blogger aruni said...
heh, maybe it's just me, but i find it a tad weird that you have a separate blog to review the books you've read! weird, but admirable (and a good idea). i always thought i had bookworm tendencies, but 70-odd books in a year? that takes the cake!

Blogger Margot said...
Fellowship of the Gingerbread. Weird, but in a totally cool way.

Blogger Jo-Jo said...
I never got to enter, because I'm lazy, but a late entry is better than no entry at all, especially since it makes fun of you :D
I think your obsession with anything Disney is a little on the strange side. But really, maybe it's only because I envey the fact that you've gone to Disney land more than me. Jerk.