Monday, January 29, 2007
To knit.
I have been working all weekend on Rogue, because I'm a terrible person who's ignoring the socks I'm supposed to be working on. I'm making excellent headway on Rogue - I'm on row 53 of the body chart, which is actually a little deceptive because you repeat 6 rows of the chart multiple times (I threw in one extra because I like my sweaters long), so I've actually knit much more than that.

Much to my chagrin, I found a mistake in one of my cables, right back at the beginning, and after despairing over it for a few minutes, have decided to leave it. (If I were as popular as the Yarn Harlot, somebody would have noticed the mistake in one of the earlier pictures and pointed it out. Alas.) I figure it adds character, and it's pretty minor in the grand scheme of things, although annoying since it means the two sides don't quite match. I know I could drop down to fix it, but we're talking dropping 90 or so rows of cables. No thanks. I tried overstitching it to make it look better, but I just don't really get how to do that, so unless someone can explain it to me, I'll leave it. It's down around the bottom - I won't be able to see it when I'm wearing it!

Anyway, after excellent progress despite having to work yesterday (dinner at my in-laws on Friday gave me lots of knitting time while I watched Barnyard with Jamie's cousin, and yesterday I hung out with various people over at the International House of Party, and got yet more knitting done), Rogue is now closing in on dividing for the front and back, which is encouraging progress. I was planning to knit it exclusively for the next few days until the body gets finished, but then I looked at the weather forecast for this week. (This was a moment of forethought that is highly unusual for me, I should note.) It is supposed to be really cold by Thursday and Friday - lows in the minus 20s. Brr. And when it was freezing earlier this week, I was cursing myself for not finishing my thrum mittens yet.

So! Eight more rows before I hit the thumb on the second mitten - encouraging progress that leads me to optimistically believe I can finish by Thursday despite working every day this week. (I volunteered for more hours because my desire to have lots of spending money in Disneyland outweighed my desire for lots of knitting time. There are few things I like more than knitting, but Disneyland is one of them. Two months this week until we leave! Eeee!)

Anyway, the mittens are now at the top of the list, but they won't take long. (HOW did I not know about how excellent mittens are to knit before now? They're so fast and cozy and nice! More mittens are in my future - hopefully more thrummed ones for my mother.) Once they're done, Rogue and my sockpal sock will go back to sharing time, with occasional forays into the baby blanket. (I think I will try to knit one strip a day.) The Mountain Peaks is on hold for now, partly because it's not exactly shawl weather, but also because I think it'll be excellent airplane knitting so I'm saving it for my trip. (I'm flying alone both ways due to the world's most complicated vacation set-up between the four of us, so I plan to spend the entire flight there knitting and listening to Disneyland music to get hyped up, and the entire flight back knitting and listening to Disneyland music to depress myself. Do I know how to party or what? And the complicated vacation set up involves multiple cities, three different arrival dates and two different departure dates with Jamie and me taking different flights home despite leaving the same day. It's ridiculous, I know, but we will all be in the same place for approximately 48 hours. I'm there the longest, though. Woo!)

Once Rogue is done, I plan to buy some Cascade 220 to make the Central Park Hoodie. After chasing around to several yarn stores, I got my hands on a copy of the KnitScene that had the pattern, and it looks like just what I wanted in a cardigan. (Please don't talk to me about my obvious cabled sweater problem. I am aware of it. After that I want a boring plain v-neck sweater with no cables in sight, I promise.) I decided to do Central Park over A Cardigan for Arwen, because I think it's more my style. (Erin agreed - she was very patient about looking at pictures of both to decide which would be better. I have very tolerant friends. And might I add, two other people were knitting last night at IHOP, so the conversion is gradually occurring.)

And of course, there is the endless parade of babies to knit for. The next one after this current log cabin isn't due until April, but it's going to sneak up on me. The yarn for that is in the mail - I think it'll be another hoodie, since that was fast and cute.

I like this idea of having one of each type of thing on the go. Once I finish my sock pal socks, I'll cast on Rachel's socks. Once I finish Rogue, I'll start in on Central Park. Once I finish this log cabin, I'll start another baby blanket. Once I finish the mittens, I'll cast on a baby sweater. (Small and mindless - seems like a good category!) And once I finish Mountain Peaks (which seems like never in my mind right now, because it's such a big project), I'll either hit the Reversible Rib Shawl, for which I already have the KidSilk Haze (mmm), or the Sea Silk shawl with the Sea Silk I just ordered.

Oh, sure. Totally manageable.

How did I think my knitting list would get any better after the Christmas knitting was done? Good grief.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:
Blogger LadyLungDoc said...
Oh dear - one of each thing at a time? That could get dangerous for someone like me with startitis and finishophobia...

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Sounds like a great plan! And excellent Rogue progress!
-Your knittyboard SP8