Thursday, December 21, 2006
Nerd Tree
There has never really been any doubt that Jamie and I are big nerds. We aren't necessarily the same kind of nerd, although there is definitely overlap. I am a book nerd, a knitting nerd, and just sort of a general nerd. Jamie is a music nerd (although a very specific type of music nerd, as he's never heard of Debbie Gibson and didn't recognize Prince, so he's obviously not an 80s music nerd), a Lord of the Rings nerd (although not a terribly hard core one), a Star Wars nerd, and also a general nerd although not in the same areas as me.

Our Christmas tree is a pretty good reflection of this nerdiness. (Note: if you really want to see close ups of our ornaments, you can click the photos to go to flickr.) Trumpet

This is only one of the many nerdy instruments on our tree. There are two trumpets (this one is really heavy and actually quite realistic, at least to my unprofessional eye), one saxophone (a tenor, alas, even though I play alto), a French Horn, and a lot of bells.

Then, there are the Star Wars ornaments. I went on a bit of a spree last year and put a bunch of them in Jamie's stocking.

The M-Peror
This is the M-Peror. Yes, groam. He has a little matching friend on top of our tv, where he lives with the Spud Trooper and Darth Tater. I wanted to get the R2-Potatoo, but he's expensive and hard to find.

Naboo Starfighter
This is a Naboo Starfighter that makes battle noises! It's pretty cool, actually - you can see the little R2D2 riding in it. (Yes, I had to ask Jamie what kind of ship it was. We also have two mini ships - the Millenium Falcon and a TIE Fighter but I didn't take photos of those.)

He talks!

Darth Vader here is actually quite elaborate. You press a button and he breathes and says a variety of ominous things. The sound is surprisingly good for, you know, a tree ornament.

Darth and the Death Star
Look, he's overseeing the Death Star! Hee. I didn't notice the well-placed ball until I'd taken the first picture but then I couldn't resist another one.

Frodo
Frodo and Sting, who doesn't glow but is surprisingly pointy.

Frodo and the Naboo Starfighter
Frodo and a Starfighter, together at last.

Now, you may be thinking that thus far, this is an awfully Jamie-nerdy tree. Fear not.

Sweater!
This is the super awesome hand knit sweater ornament that one of my Knitty Secret Pals, poppins, made for me. Isn't it cute? It's pink and stripy and it's the first ornament I put on the tree. It's sitting straight across from my knitting chair where I can see it. I kind of want to make myself a full sized version - I like the colours!

Reading Girl
This is one of my favourites. Debbie gave it to me last year, because she said it made her think of me. Hee. I like that people think of me when they see nerdy reading things!

Dorothy and the Lion
This isn't a great picture, but check it out - her shoes are TOTALLY sparkly. My mother-in-law gave this to me several years ago.

Fresh Eggs
This is one of my favourite ornaments simply because it is just so random. It is exactly what it looks like - a little teeny wire basket with eggs inside. It is very small and I have no idea what on earth it has to do with Christmas, but it is very cute and silly.

This isn't actually on our tree, nor is it specifically Christmas, but man is it nerdy.

Castle
That is the Disneyland Castle, with Mickey and Minnie standing in front, lit up by Christmas lights on our mantle. I am very fond of it and it looks particularly nice this time of year. This might be the nerdiest thing in the whole room, but it is also my favourite.

This isn't nerdy, but it's very sweet.

Pood

Jamie's cat Pood died several years ago, so Jamie made up little photo ornaments for all his family.

So there you go. Don't worry, there are plenty of non-nerd things on the tree, much to my mother's relief, but those aren't quite as entertaining. I like that our Christmas tree reflects our personalities. It wouldn't take long for someone to figure us out, looking at this tree.

The mess in the rest of the room would go a long way to get to know us, too.
3 Comments:
Blogger Zonda said...
Nice post! Neat ornaments! I like it when they reflect the person's interests!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I ♥ your ornaments! Ours is becoming a mishmash of snowman and black lab ornaments... But I dig it! :)

Blogger SuzannaBanana said...
Neat tree! The sound on that Darth Vader IS really good, isn't it? Someone about forty feet away from me at work has one, and you can hear it through his closed door.

I love all of the ornaments, and their stories.