Sunday, January 29, 2006
The Knitting Olympics


Because I am nothing if not a fan of collaborative projects, I have signed myself up for the Knitting Olympics. I am feeling the lull of post-Holidailies and post-NaNoWriMo blues that always hits in January, so I'm dedicating much of my February to knitting my first ever pair of socks. I'm quite excited about it, and as time zips by I find it hard to resist picking up my extremely cute stripy sock yarn and getting started.

Knitting is starting to take over my life a little bit. A new yarn store opened up a mere ten blocks from work, and I find myself zipping over there on lunch breaks, picking up a few things here and there. After an unsuccessful trip to Michael's tonight to pick up some smaller double-pointed needles (a test swatch led me to decide that my 3mm ones are too big for this sock yarn), I will need to hit one of the yarn stores in the next little while to pick up a set of 2mms. This means either a visit to the shop near my house, where the people are very friendly but the selection is not quite as much to my taste, or the one by work where I love the stuff they have but am lukewarm on the staff who answer many of my questions with "maybe you should take one of our classes." We'll see.

I am passing the time this weekend with a Booga Bag, which I've had the pattern and the wool for for over a year, and yet was afraid of until this weekend. Why was I afraid? I don't know. This is super easy to knit and it looks so gorgeous. I'm knitting like a total maniac and will probably finish it before I go to bed tonight. (I may or may not do the felting today.)

Anyway. I will be blogging my progress on the socks, once the Olympics start, and until then maybe I will try to occasionally write about other things. I'm not sure what, though. My life is pretty unexciting right now. Knitting's the most exciting thing going on.

I know, it's pathetic. But hey, I'm not complaining. Now if you'll excuse me, there is a bag waiting for me.
1 Comments:
Blogger The Doc said...
Knitting Olympics, huh? I'm trying to get back in the swing of things, and that might just be the kind of inspiration I need...if only I knew how to do more than knit and purl...